Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Companion Gardening: Cause Plants Need Friends Too

Spent yesterday at work learning how to plant food strategically! Am designing a whole new garden for my backyard, cause my first one bombed.

In my first garden, I had:
Beets
Green Onions
Lettuce

Gophers came and stole my lettuce, from underground! They came up from underneath and pulled those suckers right under. Then the dog came and dug up my onions and beets to find the gophers.

So anyway, companion gardening means that when you plant a certain herb or vegetable by it's "companion", then they work together to keep off predators and other bugs like aphids. They also make each other taste better!

Sprigs of mint will deter mice and ants. Planting garlic bulbs around fruit trees will keep deer away. Anise by broccoli keeps aphids off.

What an exciting world! Will post pictures of the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment